Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy

[frame align=”center”]

Poison Ivy

[/frame]

Thousands of children suffer from Poison Ivy rash especially in the summer and spring time while they play outdoors. The plant contains one of the most allergic oils known to man. The rash occurs when they come in contact with a toxin found in the resin of the Poison Ivy plant known as Urushiol oil.

It causes itching, rashes, swelling and blisters on the part of the body that comes into contact with the Urushiol oil .There are three types of this plant: The Poison Ivy, Poison Ivy Oak and the Poison Sumac .The symptoms of contact with the leaves of this plant occur 6 to 48 hours after initial contact. One of the most common symptoms is that the skin may turn red; the rash may also be bumpy and extremely itch.

The rashes are not contagious nor do they spread to other parts of the body, whatever part of the body that comes into contact with the plant will develop the rash.

The Urushiol will remain beneath the fingernails of children, therefore the first step of treatment is cleaning the skin, fingernail s and clothing thoroughly. Similarly wash the affected area of your skin with soapy water to avoid spreading the Urushiol oil around. Moreover, rub on the rash with Calamine lotion or spray which will reduce itchiness and dry the rashes, or you may have bathe the child with an oatmeal bath.

Avoid scratching and dry out the Poison Ivy rash, to allow it to heal faster. In more severe cases you may break out in blisters. It is important not to pop these blisters, allow them to empty on their own.
Speed matters when dealing with Poison Ivy , you have to get rid of the Urushiol quickly , if symptoms are more severe, you will need to seek expert medical attention.